Monday, March 26, 2012

Hunger Games

Well, I saw the much hyped movie, The Hunger Games last Saturday.  I have never read the books, but have been told the basic storyline.  Let me say that it is very intriguing plot.  I am not sure how I should feel about it though.

The movie is very interesting and does a very good job of catching the viewer's interest.  I found myself waiting anxiously for what would happen next.  I can not help but ask myself however, if this is the type of movie I should watch, or if it is ethical. I guess the big hurdle for me is just the fact that older teenagers slaughter younger or weaker teenagers throughout.  Should this be something that I am excited to watch?  Or support by watching it?

The thing is though, is that I do enjoy watching other movies with lots of action, and sometimes fighting is glorified in those movies.  People even die in those movies as well.  By watching these movies, am I not still supporting violence?  Is my conscience waking up now because instead of adults, it is children dying?

I like to tell myself that it is okay, because they are just movies and what happens is not real.  But maybe I really am desensitizing myself to things that really are bad and violent and should not be portrayed in such a glorious fashion. 

These are just my thoughts as I ponder on whether Hunger Games really is a movie that I can feel comfortable watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment