Monday, March 12, 2012

March Madness

Once again, the college basketball regular season has ended, and the tournament can now begin!  For me, this is the most exciting sporting event of the year.  I always get so enthralled filling out a bracket and just hoping that it does not all fall apart on me.  Sometimes I am lucky, other times not so much.

What is it about the tournament though, that makes everybody want to skip work a couple weekends and just watch game after game of college basketball?  Is is just the fact that they are invested because they have filled out a bracket?  Does the bracket make them think that they have a responsibility to pay attention to only that during this month.  Or we are just really prideful and feel that there is no way our bracket could be so wrong.  That national champion should be Kentucky, right?  50% of the nation will pick them to win, only to see them lose in the Sweet 16, and then the riots will begin.

Whatever it is, it is all very exciting.  Competing against friends and family.  Maybe the most frustrating thing about filling out the brackets, is that it really doesn't matter how much you paid attention to the sport the past four months.  I watch it all the time, and last year I was still beaten by a seven- and a nine-year-old.  How embarrasing, right?  Not really.  I'm over it now.  It really all is just randomness and lucky guesses. (That's what I have to tell myself at least.)

The one major drawback to filling out a bracket however, it that it dictates who I root for in games, even though I may want the underdog to win.  That is the really frustrating thing.  Will BYU win the championship?  Probably not.  But if I were to have Marquette say, go to the Final Four, would I root for or against BYU in the second round?

Oh the madness!

Here is one of my brackets that I filled out, it was a fun one because I picked absolutely zero upsets in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment