Thursday, January 12, 2012

From Analytical to Expressive?

This semester is only a little over a week old, and it is already stretching me in ways that my first four semesters at BYU haven't.  I have taken numerous math and general education classes, which generally teach through logic and repetition.  This suits me well, as I am a very analytical person.  My most painful class at BYU was my freshman English class (with Bio 100 a close second).  I don't know how I survived whatever five or six page paper that I may have had to write.  I just remember it was horrible.

Somehow, this semester I find myself in a position with no math or typical general class.  My MCOM class has me writing blogs and learning grammar all over again, my Spanish class has me reading and analzying poems and essays (in Spanish!  I can't even do that in English very well!), and my preparation for marriage class appears like it would be just another religion class, except for the fact that I'll have three 7-8 page essays to write.  And two of these classes have already assigned me groups to work in for the semester.  Groups! Really?!  Not that I have anything against my groups, its just that I much prefer working on my own.

Well, I think that's enough ranting and time for analyzing, because that's just what I do.  Maybe, just maybe, I could potentially more than any other semester at BYU.  I know that I am not a great writer, and that it is a little difficult for me to articulate all of my ideas.  These are definitely areas that could use some improvement.  I could use some more roundness in my education.  Because I do not like these types of assignments and working in groups is exactly the reason why I should improve them.  I am not sure exactly what my future job will be, but I am willing to bet that writing and working in groups will be some part of it.

I do not like working out of my comfort zone.  I like doing what I know how to do.  I'm sure that is how most people feel.  Worrying and complaining about it will not help me out though.  I will struggle in different things throughout my entire life.  The real challenge is learning how to cope with my struggles and improving them.  I don't think that I'll ever lose my analytical mind, but I think that limiting the skills I want to learn is not a good idea.

I think it's about time that fish adapt and grow some lungs.

No comments:

Post a Comment